Zytiga® is the trade name for the generic drug abiraterone acetate.
In some cases, health care professionals may use the generic name
abiraterone acetate when referring to the trade name Zytiga®.
Zytiga® is a type of hormone therapy. This medication is classified
as an adrenal inhibitor. (For more detail, see How
Zytiga® Works below)
What this drug is used for:
- Zytiga® is indicated for use in combination with prednisone
for the treatment of men with metastatic castration-resistant
prostate cancer who have already received prior chemotherapy
If a drug has been approved for
one use, physicians may elect to use this same drug for other problems
if they believe it may be helpful.
How this drug is given:
Important things to remember about the side effects of Zytiga®:
- Zytiga® is a pill, taken by mouth. It is taken once a day.
- It must be taken on an empty stomach [2 hours after a meal, or
one hour before]
- It should be taken at approximately the same time each day.
- Prednisone [10mg daily] should be taken along with Zytiga®.
- The amount of Zytiga® you receive depends on many factors.
Your doctor will determine your dose and schedule
- Most people will not experience all of the Zytiga® side
- Zytiga® side effects are often predictable in terms of their
onset, duration, and severity.
- Zytiga® side effects are almost always reversible and will go
away after therapy is complete.
- Zytiga® side effects may be quite manageable. There are many
options to minimize or prevent the side effects of Zytiga®.