Generic Name: Brentuximab vedotin
Adcetris® is the trade name for the generic drug brentuximab
vedotin. In some cases, health care professionals may use the generic
name, brentuximab vedotin, when referring to the trade name, Adcetris®.
:Adcetris® is an anti-cancer ("antineoplastic"
or "cytotoxic") chemotherapy drug. This medication is
classified as an "antineoplastic
agent and a monoclonal antibody". (For more detail, see How
Adcetris® Works below)
What Adcetris® Is Used For :
- Treatment of adult patients with previously untreated stage III
or IV classical Hodgkin lymphoma (cHL) in combination with
- Treatment of patients with Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma (cHL) at
high risk of relapse or progression as post autologous hematopoietic
stem cell transplantation (auto-HSCT) consolidation.
- Treatment of patients with cHL after failure of auto-HSCT or
after failure of at least two prior multi-agent chemotherapy
regimens in patients who are not candidates for auto-HSCT.
- Treatment of patients with systemic anaplastic large cell
lymphoma after failure of at least one prior multi-agent
- Treatment of patient with primary cutaneous anaplastic large cell
lymphoma (pcALCL) or CD30-expressing mycosis fungoides (MF) who have
received prior systemic therapy.
Note: If a drug has been approved for one use, physicians may elect to
use this same drug for other problems if they believe it may be helpful.
How Adcetris® Is Given :
Adcetris® Side effects :
- As an infusion into a vein (intravenous, IV) over 30 minutes.
- The amount of Adcetris® that you will receive depends on many
factors, including your weight, your general health or other health
problems, and the type of cancer or condition you have. Your doctor
will determine your exact dosage and schedule.
Important things to remember about the side effects of Adcetris® :
The following side effects are common (occurring in greater than
30%) for patients taking Adcetris® :
- Most people will not experience all of the Adcetris® side
- Adcetris® side effects are often predictable in terms of
their onset, duration, and severity.
- Adcetris® side effects will improve after therapy is
- Adcetris® side effects may be quite manageable. There are
many options to minimize or prevent the side effects of Adcetris®.
- Low blood counts .
- Peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling of the hands and
- Fatigue (feeling tired or weak)
- Upper respiratory infection
- Lung problems (if previously treated with bleomycin)